Thursday, June 16, 2016

Review: To Davy Jones Below

To Davy Jones Below To Davy Jones Below by Carola Dunn
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 Stars. I will say first and foremost, this is the first book that I have read in this series. I do feel that I should go back and read the other books in this series before this book. I felt a little lost as to whom some of the characters were, what their connection to Daisy, and some of the back story, not that it interfered with this book a lot, but more of while I was reading I felt lost.
Putting my feelings aside: I enjoy reading books set in the 1920’s era, the romance of the time period along with the changing of the fashion, prohibition, mobsters, bootlegging, speakeasy’s, everything about this era seemed to be a fun time to be alive. The descriptions the author uses in the book helps bring the story to life in this time period.
Daisy Dalrymple has just married her Scotland Yard detective Alec Fletcher, and is leaving on their honeymoon for America on the Talavera, along with Daisy’s childhood friend Phillip Petrie, his wife, Gloria, and Gloria's father, American millionaire industrialist Caleb P. Arbuckle, and Mr. Arbuckle’s new friend, Jethro Gotobed. Once the ship leaves dock, they are under their way for what they hope is a wonderful adventure. Shortly after they leave dock, a passenger falls overboard. The young man is rescued, but one of the witnesses insists that he didn’t fall, he was pushed. Alec’s is drug into this investigation by the Captain. After that another passenger falls overboard, but this time the passenger was shot.
With the harsh weather making the sea rough, many of the passengers are having a bout with seasickness, including Alec. Daisy takes it upon herself to help figure out if there is a connection between the two passengers’ incidents or if they were two separate incidents. With no help from Scotland Yard, Daisy needs to find the culprit before anyone else falls victim, including herself.
The characters were well developed, the way the author described the time period, I actually felt as those I was seeing right before my eyes. I did figure out early on who it was, and I was pleased that I was right when I got to the unveiling. It was a cute read and one that I enjoyed. I couldn’t help myself to like Daisy and wanted to become friends with her, that I decided to go back and read the other books up to this one and if there are any others after this one.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment